Gardening – a journal, mainly Azalea Park plot in late June 2016
20160624 Friday. After work –– raked, worked the upper left ie NW tilled quadrant, pulling up lots of wire grass into a pile and making 4 rows of corn. Planted alternating holes with 2 seeds, about 3” apart in each row. Four rows were arranged with, farthest east
1. earliest corn 65 days Early Sunglow
2. middle early corn 73 days Sweet corn, King Kool hybrid
3. middle late corn 74 days Kandy corn
4. latest corn 81 days Jubilee Hybrid
Showered that evening nicely
20160625 Saturday. 1. Carefully mulched the space between the 4 corn rows.
2. Pulling weeds and mulching the pepper / squash area
3. Pulling weeds and mulching the tomato area
4. Forked holes for 3 tomatoes, 2 in the lower, east tomato area, and 1 at the east end of the upper squash area. Put tomato cages around them and around one of the peppers
5. Forked the end of the upper NNE border and planted sprouted cosmos along the fence and a row of zinnia just below it
20160626 Sunday afternoon with Deej
1. prepared a trench in the upper NNW for Deej to plant another row of beans, which she did
2. prepared a trench just south of it, where a row of corn was planted after Deej left, of 89 day maturity Kandy Korn (Hypbrid)
3. Raked and prepared both sides of the lower SE corner sections, trowel prepared soil along the SEE boarder for flowers. Planted 3 sections starting from the South of Zinnias (Giants of California East, Giant Cactus Mixed Colors W), Cosmos (Sensation Mix E, Seashells Mix W), and Marigolds – Sunset Giants Mix
4. Deej planted gladiola bulbs just south of the existing ones
5. Deej planted Butternut squash seeds in a hill (NW), and nasturtiums again in the middle of the cucumber circle.
6. Prepared two area with the fork – shallow digging – one on the SSW border east of the sunflower sprouts, and one in a section just south of the corn and west of the mulch pile next to the peas
7. scuffle hoed the SWW border.
8. Replanted sunflower seeds in the NE corner and a middle location along the E boarder
9. Deej picked some peas and I picked 3 cayenne peppers
10. At home, moved a few of the logs.
20160627 Monday. After work, 1. prepared, raked and then planted okra seeds all along the south and the east walkway or border inside the border flower bed strip.
2. Forked up some more along the flower strips of the NNW and SSE 10 foot sections. Planted some sprouted cosmos and newly-bought zinnia in the NNW strip and also along the SSE border. Bought zinnia 4 packs, and then boxes of zinnia, wild flower, and sunny flowers at $1 a piece.
3. Loaded a bag of much to take home.
20160628 Tues – looked like rain but didn’t. 1. Weeded around the back yard – around the moonflowers, the peppers, and the marigolds. 2. Grape vine – sniped off the longer vines.
20160629 Wednesday. 1. Dug up the rest of the flower bed strips along the SSW, the West, and the NNW borders. Planted cosmos and zinnia along those areas – also a 5 foot marigold strip. And watered some.
2. Fork loaded 4 wheelbarrow loads and placed 3 near the SSE quarter and one load in the NNE quarter.
3. Unloaded the bags of mulch.