28 March 2020

Wed-Friday 25-27 March 2020

     Sorry, I've been busy with all sorts of other things.  Mostly work during the day, plus other things.
     Fell into a pattern during the last three days of getting up - checking email, handling requests and other business, keeping an eye on the changing posts in 5 Slack channels, and afternoon Zoom meetings, even a 'coffee' one with non-library banter.
     Our Delhi and other Library of Congress offices are locked down, since the embassies in Cairo, Islamabad, and Delhi have mostly closed or working at a bare minimum.  Shipments are on hold until further notice. Delhi is empty and eerie.
     I sent out another post to my Anthropology and Middle East and South Asia Languages Departments' faculty with library updates and how to request ebooks, scanning of text books, and what libraries are open or closed, and their hours. Responded to requests for 2 ebooks; and where our online video collection could be accessed.
     Also went on Thursday afternoon to my real office at Kerchof Hall, mainly to pickup my duo monitors, plus 4 boxes of (1,000?) pamphlets to review for developing cataloging inforation. It was a ghost campus, only one car in about 60 parking slots.
     Did I mention, I did my for online annual evaluation with my boss? - she had some good suggestions of what I might work on for the next year. We are slated to get a 2% or so salary increase.
     We have gone to two quick grocery trips - Wegmen's carefully wiped down everything - belt, items, and kept us behind the line. Foodlion, not so much.
      Deej went to an entivio infusion Thursday morning and she is uneasy about going into grocery stores with her Crohn's disease.
       Nonetheless Deej mowed the front yard Friday afternoon and so it's now my turn to do the much larger back yard. She also went on a walk with me this afternoon along the new trail just west of the Wegman's shopping center, down to the creeks and along dirt, muddy paths which seem heavily used by mountain bikes.Another nice trail, though.
     One of my Woodstock classmates got back from Papua New Guinea to Washington state okay; another classmate is finding the Spanish restrictions quite severe. The worst case right now is a Woodstock school mate in the class below me (1960) - she and her husband were on a cruise to Chile and got restocked down there and are heading back to Norfolk, but uncertain if they will get through the Panama canal, plus 2 people on board have died today and another 2 are sick and the medical staff is very limited. Dire circumstances.
     I've gone ahead and alerted my Class of 1959 mate that I will host an hour zoom session with the 35 or so of us at 2 pm Saturday afternoon (Eastern time). That should be interesting. 4 or 5 of them have already used zoom with family and church members. We'll see. 
      Are you zooming, too?

No comments: